Saturday, September 03, 2005

What is English?

What is English? How do we define it within a shifting and fragmented world?




How do we address the inherent challenges in attempting to avoid definition?




How do we challenge the reductive definitions and control foisted upon us by policy makers and government bodies?



How do we prepare our students to engage critically with a world that won’t stand still?




In a textual world where classics, visuals, voices, games, comics, poems, hypertexts, blogs, ezines, newspapers and cultural trends continue to overlap and merge, leaning on each other for room, how can subject English ever be defined?

2 comments:

Scott said...

chihiro's train journey to zeniba's house at swamp bottom must be one of the most strange and beautiful in all animation - so beautiful I had to teach this film to my y8s.

nb said...

Yes, I know. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for ways to fit it into our curriculum.